Cheap Moving Service TipsWe’ve all heard the old saying that the most stressful events in a person’s life are death, debt and moving. These stresses are unavoidable sometimes, but don’t let a move lead to death, debt or despair. Finding a cheap moving service and the following tips and tricks from 24-7 Van Lines can help alleviate some of the worries for your next move. Here we have six tips and tricks to keep your next move from driving you to debt or an early grave.
- Do a little research and hire a cheap moving service. There are a ton of options out there for movers and like any other business they run specials to try and drive business. If you’re flexible with your move date consider moving between October and May as these are the slowest time for moving companies. If you’re not flexible enough to change the month a simple change of date might help. Mid month will give you better prices than the busy end of the month moving crunch.
- Start collecting packing materials long before it’s time to move. Keep those newspapers out of the recycle bin, keep packing materials that may have been shipped to you in your last online purchase and don’t forget to use the materials you already have around the house. Blankets, towels and sheets can make for great packing materials. Also, consider packing your dishes in butcher’s paper instead of expensive bubble wrap.
- Don’t buy boxes. It is easy to spend a couple hundred dollars on boxes if you’re not careful. Before dropping those dollars try your local grocery stores for produce boxes. Produce boxes are extra durable and can handle a heavy load. Hospital delivery boxes are strong too as they are required to ship chemical and medical supplies in double-walled boxes. Your local recycling plant will also have lots and lots of boxes, but be careful to get only the boxes that are in the best shape.
- Check Craigslist for moving materials. Once someone moves they have all that lovely packing and moving material just hanging around looking for a new home. Most of the time materials are free as long as you come to pick it up.
- No matter what cheap moving service you’ve selected the less you move the less you will pay for. Try to purge any items that don’t need to be moved. A good rule is, if you haven’t touched it for a year you probably don’t need it. Moving can be a blessing in disguise. It gives you the chance to go through everything you own and get rid of the things you no longer have use for. Donating to Goodwill/ Salvation Army for the tax write off. These items might also find a new life in another home.
- Consider having your valuables appraised. Even a cheap moving service will be insured but you need to know the value of the items you own. It’s a fact of moving that sometimes things are lost or broken, no matter how careful be are. Renters and homeowner’s insurance might also cover damages while moving but you have to check your policy.
- Look for movers rates in your area.